Fresh Hop IPA – 2019 Release
Our brewers called it – this beer is Fresh AF! We’re fricken STOKED to be cracking open a bottle of our Fresh Hop IPA – straight off the line. The first of our three Limited Releases for the year.
You see, we love beer. We love brewing it as much as we love drinking it. And we love getting creative with it in a no holds barred kinda way. We dream up new recipes and experiment with small batches, in limited quantities. And Fresh Hop IPA is one of our favourite results.
We make this beer seasonally. The fresh hop harvest happens once a year during a tiny window period. We wait for the hop farmer to call and when he does, we drop everything, put the pedal to the metal, and head out to George to hand pick the whole cone hops that make this beer what it is.
Our hop varietal of choice is African Queen, the source of inspiration for our label – representing abundance and fresh, natural flavour. With the bakkie brimming full of carefully-packed cooler boxes, its “Home James, and don’t spare the horses”! Our brewers gun it back, eager to maximise the freshness of their harvest and kick off the start of an all-nighter at the brewery – cramming as many fresh whole cone hops into the brew as possible.
The result is a fully loaded, delicious, all hop IPA. Fresh cut grass, pinecones, grapefruit… call it what you will… it’s F*@KING yummy.
Each year the beer tastes a little different. Rumour has it that this year’s batch is the best it’s ever been. Savour it. Enjoy it cold and FRESH.
Because we’ve made only one batch, availability is limited and we’re sending these beauties to select stores. We’ll of course be pouring it in the Taproom so if you’re in our area, pull in for a pint – straight from the source. The rest of you – watch this space! We’ll be updating the below stores list as our precious cargo reaches its destination.
FIND OUR FRESH HOP IPA
- Jack Black’s Taproom!
- Oranjezicht City Farm Market
- Banana Jam
- Beerhouse on Long
- Biggest Little Beer Shop
- Claremont Liquor City
- Kloof Tops
- Seapoint Tops
- The Bar Keeper
- Vredehoek Tops
- Fijnbosch cafe
- Beerhouse Fourways
- Blue Bottle Liquors Centurion
- Choo Choo Junction
- Craft Beer Library
- Horse & River in Vaal
- Riverside Liquors
- Spilt Milk Social Cafe (from April 24th)
- The Bru House & Diner
- Capital Craft Centurion
- Capital Craft Menlopark
- Liquor City Groenkloof
- Liquor City Glen Gables
KZN (from April 24th)
- Meander Fine Wines
- The Wine Cellar Rosetta
- Tops Hilton Quarry
- Tops Hillcrest
- Tops Balito
- Tops Umhlanga
- Tops Eastmanns
- The Bottleshop online store
- 0 likes
We’re Hiring a Brewer!
Job Title: Production Brewer
Reports To: Brewmaster
Location: Diep River, Cape Town, South Africa
You May Just Be The Perfect Fit!
Are you incredibly inspired and passionate about beer?
Do you enjoy and savour the smell of fresh hops and dream of the endless possibilities of creating a variety of beers from clean, crisp lagers to Hoppy IPAs?
Are you willing and ready to keep an open mind and learn all the aspects of production brewing in our state-of-the-art facility?
If so, WE WANT YOU!
We’re seeking motivated, multi-talented, and experienced candidates who are looking to work in a fast-paced environment and are ready to be of part a growing Brewing Team!
What The Job Involves:
- The brewer is responsible for production, from raw ingredients to bright tank.
- Sustaining a clean, sanitary, and “showcase brewery” work environment.
- Assisting with ongoing day-to-day operations within the brewery; anything from being on the brewing deck to exterior tank scrubbing.
- Assisting with the monitoring of yeast health, fermentation, cropping, and general yeast management.
- A complete willingness to get your hands dirty in the brew house, cellar, packaging hall, and warehouse.
- Being an independent worker and having the ability to work with little supervision, but knowing when to ask for clear guidance.
- Being passionate about meeting growing demands and performing other duties as needed and assigned.
- An eagerness to be part of a strong team of brewers with safety, accountability, professionalism, teamwork and fun in the forefront of the culture.
Critical Job Requirements:
- The ability to lift up to 50KG
- Capable of working in a safe and competent manner, and being aware of surrounds in an environment that has heavy machinery, equipment, chemicals and systems.
- Able to work in a noisy and high traffic manufacturing environment.
- Flexible to work on weekends and/or weeknights and respond to high priority requests.
- Possess a valid driver’s license and maintain an excellent driving record. Own transport is a must.
- Ability to take on various levels of responsibility from complex to simple tasks with a great attitude.
- Ability to take direction well, follow verbal and written SOP’s.
What You Should Have:
- A four-year degree in Science is a plus.
- A certification from an accredited brewing program is also a plus.
- In lieu of a related degree or certification, at a minimum 1 year experience in production brewing.
- Excellent communication skills both written and verbal.
- An entry-level understanding of brewing and cellaring is required.
- Experience with process automation is highly desirable.
We offer a great benefit package:
- Competitive salary
- Vacation, Sick & Holiday Pay
- Job Growth & Training
And of Course….A monthly beer allowance and Tap Room discounts!!
Send your CV to email@example.com
Jack Black Brewing Co. provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, colour, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics.
- 2 likes
Pint for a Purpose x 9 Miles Project
Initially, we opened our Taproom as a space for friends and customers to come for a beer, meet the team, and understand the passion that goes into each and every batch we brew. One day we decided to open our doors to the world, and put the word out. It was a Friday and we brought in a food truck – just in case those who came were hungry. We were totally blown away by the turn out, with hundreds of people going out of their way, queuing to get in – in the pouring rain!
What we learnt that night really stuck with us. We’re part of an amazing community consisting of all walks of life. It’s this community that has played a vital role in the success of our Taproom and our brewery, and drives us to keep improving and brewing the best damn beer we possibly can. There are few things more rewarding than seeing people come together over a couple of beers in what we call ‘our home’. Everyone pays the same price, and everyone is here because they want to be.
Our community extends well beyond the borders of our brewery, and we’re constantly moved by the stories and meaningful work that we hear about on a regular basis.
It’s our community that’s inspired us to start our ‘Pint for a Purpose’ initiative – an initiative also adopted by our friends at Beerhouse from as early as 2014!
From today, when you come down to the brewery, you’ll spot a single tap different to the rest. Proceeds from that tap – this month, it’s our award winning Atlantic Weiss – will go towards the cause we’re currently supporting. The cause will change and so will the style of beer that runs through it, but the commitment will not.
Our first cause is the 9-miles Project, whose slogan is ‘Going the Distance’. The Project works with ‘at risk’ youth in coastal informal settlements and aims to provide mentorship and support. Based in Strandfontein Pavilion (Cape Town), the project is a haven and refuge for youth who have very few positive role models in their lives. One of their challenges is the commute to and from the safe haven – the clubhouse. Initiated by like-minded legends Grant Cleghorn (from Gone Outdoor Supply Store) and Patrick Burnett (of Burnett Surfboards), an idea came about to fundraise enough cash to buy 9-Miles a kombi.
“Walking to the project clubhouse is tough – especially in bad weather and with the fear of violence or abductions. The journey’s made because the clubhouse is a safe and positive environment but we are so grateful that, thanks to all involved, our dream of safe transport will soon become reality.” says 9 Miles founder, Nigel Savel. To make this happen, Patrick worked with some of the kids to make four beautiful, hand crafted wooden surfboards.
One of the boards will be auctioned at the Wavescape Art Board Auction (at the brewery on Nov 28th), one will be on sale in the Gone Store, and one will be up for grabs through a raffle. We have this last board on display at the brewery right now, so come on down and grab an ice cold Pint for a Purpose and a raffle ticket too at just R50 a pop.
If you’re not in the area, you can still contribute to this super worthy initiative by getting in touch with the 9 Miles team directly via firstname.lastname@example.org, or giving them a call on 082 997 8754 or 021 393 0436.
- 2 likes
Wolves of Winter Stout
With bucket loads of talent and twice the passion, our brewers have collaborated to brew our once-off Wolves of Winter Stout. Inspired by the drop in temperature, fire-side weekends, and an itch to try something new, our team came together and developed this unique recipe ’round the table of an informal brewer’s lunch in our Taproom. Knowing we had a small window in our brewing schedule, a quick scramble for raw materials ensued, and the brewing process began the very next day.
“We wanted to do something completely different while staying true to what we do best. This beer is the culmination of the expertise, perfectionism and passion of our brewing family.”
Our primary focus was the malt. We wanted to achieve a deep dark colour without adding any roasted bitterness, so, along with a few other malts, we chose to brew with Carafa Special – a malt that doesn’t contain a husk and provides a deep rich colour without imparting any strong roasted characters. We’ve kept the hop profile simple, with subtle bitterness and a piney, resinous aroma. And because we wanted this stout to be a little different, we fermented it with lager yeast.
The result is a truly delicious, complex beer that goes down well and leaves room for another. And another.
This R&D release will be available at our Taproom only – while stocks last. If any kegs do sneak out of the brewery, we’ll let you know where they end up!
Nose: Upfront coffee and chocolate aromas with nuances of roasted marshmallows.
Taste: Refreshing medium-bodied stout; unique bitterness that gently lingers, then disappears inviting the next sip… Dark chocolate and coffee flavours follow through on the palate for a subtle but delicious finish.
- 6 likes
Job Title: Office Controller
At Jack Black Brewing Co. we believe in a great work-life balance. Catch us surfing when the swell is good, or enjoying sunset hikes on Table Mountain with mates (followed by a Cape Pale Ale!) after a productive work day at the brewery.
As we grow, our team grows, so we’re always looking for outgoing, super organised, happy folks to join us and add to our great team environment.
We now have an opening for an “Official Office Controlling Agent”, a dynamic role where you will be required to dodge bullets and defuse bombs. This role is super important and is key to the successful functioning of our office and systems. As our OOC, you will have your finger on the pulse of our fast moving environment. You will be a natural team achiever, someone who gets stuck in and assists wherever possible, with a “can do” attitude and an attention to detail that is second to none!
Some of the cool stuff you will be responsible for:
- Pastel Wiz – need to know the ins and outs.
- Processing invoices and orders.
- Loading bank payments.
- Performing reconciliations for VAT, petty cash, bank, supplier and debtor accounts.
- Maintenance of the fixed asset register.
- Booking of flights/accommodation.
- Inspect reimbursement claims.
- Status reporting to management team.
Other skills and experience helpful to this role:
- Absolute attention to detail and accuracy of all work.
- People management skills.
- Assisting the Human Resource Function.
- Overtime recording.
- Leave schedule management.
- Maintenance of employee contracts.
- Disciplinary procedures.
- Record keeping of deductions.
- Maintenance of the group risk schedule.
If you know you are the best person for this dynamic dynamo position – don’t hesitate to send your details and CV to email@example.com. Please remember to indicate salary expectation.
We look forward to meeting you!
*Please note that due to the popularity of this role we will only be able to reply to successful applicants. Thanks!
- 8 likes