Wavescape Festival 2019
As the summer kicks off in South Africa we turn our attention to one of the highlights on the Jack Black events calendar – the Wavescape Surf & Ocean Festival.
Since 2012, it’s been an honor to partner with this phenomenal festival, which brings together an amazing community of like-minded folks, sharing in stories of surfing, sustainability, adventure and activism. With Vans headlining this year’s festival, we’ll see an extra week of events – extending the festival with dates from 9 November to 9 December!
“We’re excited to once again partner with the festival and stoked to be hosting events at the Taproom. 2019 marked a significant milestone in our sustainability journey, as we moved our shrink wrap packaging away from plastic. We’re inspired by the conservation and ocean activism of the festival and love to celebrate with such an awesome community benefitting so many worthy causes” – Meg McCulloch, Jack Black Co Founder
Keep your eyes peeled for more info on the festival – and start marking your calendars. The festival kicks off at Jack Black’s Taproom on Nov 9th – and it’s gonna to be biggie – more info coming soon!
So here’s the lineup:
- Sat 9 Nov – Vans Festival Launch (live bands, Tony Alva premiere), Jack Black’s Tap Room, 18:00 – Tickets
- Thu 14 Nov – Ocean Pledge Film Night, The Electric, District Six, 19:30
- Sat 16 Nov – Beach Co-Op Seaside Scavenge, Monwabesi Beach, 09:00
- Mon 18 Nov – Artboard Exhibition starts, Jack Black’s Tap Room, daily 09:00-17:00
- Wed 20 Nov – Oceans Alive: evening of surf, ocean and activism, Two Oceans Aquarium, 19:00
- Thu 21-22 Nov – Deep South Surf Films, Camel Rock, Scarborough, 19:30
- Sat 23 Nov – Beach Co-op Evening, Harvest Cafe, Muizenberg, 19:00
- Wed 27 Nov – Artboard Project Charity Auction, Jack Black’s Tap Room, Diep River, 19:30
- Sat 30 Nov – Clifton 4th Beach Screening, 20:00
- Mon 2 Dec – Slide Night, Centre for the Book, 19:00
- Wed 4 Dec – Changing Oceans Master Class, InvestSA One Stop Shop, 18:30
- Thu 5-8 Dec – Film Festival, Labia Theatre, 18:00 and 20.30
- Thu 5 Dec – Vans Night, 20:30
- Fri 6 Dec – Beach Co-op Plastic China screening, 18:00
- Fri 6 Dec – York Night, 20.30
- Sat 7 Dec – All Africa Night, 20:30
- Sun 8 Dec – Gone Night, 20:30
All proceeds from the event are donated to beneficiaries such as the NSRI, Shark Spotters, the 9 Miles Project, Ocean Pledge, Beach Co-op and South African Adaptive Surfing.
Supporting partners include Wesgro, Marine Stewardship Council, Petco, Long Beach Capital, Gone, and York Surf.
For more details check out the festival website: www.wavescapefestival.com
Woodstock Liquors Growler Special!
Woodstock Liquors has hooked up their Growler Station with our beer, giving you the opportunity to have that “straight from the tap” experience at home.
If you’ve already bought a Growler from our Taproom feel free to take it along, or buy a new one from the counter for R125. Filling up the full 2L will set you back just R90 – it’s a steal, really.
Once you’ve taken your Growler home, follow these tips for keeping your beer fresher for longer:
- Growlers of beer can stay fresh for several days if left unopened.
- Once opened, leftover beer will probably be flat within 36 hours.
- Beer in growlers is susceptible to the same challenges as beers in bottles or cans. Keep your growler away for sunlight, store them cold, and store them upright to avoid leakage.
- Keeping your growler clean! Aim to rinse and scrub them as soon you’ve polished off their contents, and dry them upside down once cleaned to prevent any lingering moisture.
Woodstock Liquors can be found at 175 Victoria Rd Cape Town
Contact: 021 447 8830
We Love Real Beer!
The We Love Real Beer Festival is back! Ah, the laughs, the memories, the antics. If you’re old enough to remember those original festivals at the Neighbourgoods Market (yup, we see those grey hairs), join us again this year for a throwback to those early days and the crazy ways we use to sell beer – this time at our very own Brewery.
If you hadn’t quite hit the drinking age back in the day – or are new to the craft beer scene – this is a festival not to be missed. Food Trucks, live music, and the original crews manning their beer stands (including us of course), it’s a rare event that’s been a long time coming.
We Love Real Beer was co-founded by &Union and Jack Black to promote a community of Real Beer Lovers. Craft beer has evolved since those early pioneering days, shaping the industry to what it is today. Let’s not forget where we came from, and those early supporters that helped us get here.
- DEVIL’S PEAK
- JACK BLACK
- NOB (Burgers)
- EEZY EETERY (Curry)
- Black Beer’d (Fish & chips)
- Mono Pony
- The Stir
- Cherry Vynil
- Jambo Africa
Date: Friday 15 Dec 12noon – 10pm
Place: Jack Black Brewery – 10 Brigid Rd, Diep River. Cape Town
Online: R50 and includes a free WLRB glass
At the door: R65
The end of the year is around the corner, and it’s got us feeling festive!
If you follow us on Facebook you’ll have seen we’re hosting a number of events in the build up to festive season – Wavescape and We Love Real Beer to name two – in addition to our on-going events such as Jazz Nights, Quiz Nights and Food Truck Fridays. What you may not know is that the Taproom is also available for private hire.
Situated in the Southern Suburbs, in a quaint cul-de-sac, a mere 20 minutes from town, it’s the ideal location for a private function.
With the freshest beer on tap, an Executive chef and fully equipped kitchen, we’re no strangers to corporate end of year functions, birthday parties, and weddings. Our ‘industrial chic’ styling makes for great understated décor, or the ideal base on which to build your event vision. As a regular live music venue we also offer various suggestions for music and entertainment.
For smaller groups just looking for somewhere low-key to wind down the year with a beer and some good food, feel free to book a table for lunch during our weekly opening hours: Wednesday to Friday 10am – 10pm, and Saturday 10am – 2pm. If you’re interested, we also offer brewery tours (bookings only).
We look forward to hosting you!
- 3 likes