It’s no secret we’ve got a deep, inescapable connection to the outdoors. The fresh, saltiness of the ocean. The clean, aromatic air of the mountains. We’re passionate about nature and feel it’s our duty to protect it.
The urban population in Africa is growing rapidly. As this happens, ecosystems come under threat. It’s important that natural spaces are protected and incorporated into urban landscapes, because when we conserve and restore ecosystems, everyone wins. This is the mission of Greenpop and we’ve joined their ‘Treevolution’.
Biodiversity promotes life. Without getting too scientific, functioning ecosystems produce oxygen, eliminate carbon dioxide, provide homes for animals, recharge groundwater, replace soil nitrates, and prevent erosion. Conserving or restoring a natural ecosystem is also a symbol of hope, a belief in the future, a positive wish for our communities and care for our planet. It brings people together and is a living, breathing gift to the generations to come. It’s pretty important.
So how does Greenpop protect and restore biodiversity? They collaborate with passionate, knowledgeable individuals and organisations who have years of experience, and run incredible environmental projects across Sub-Saharan Africa – including the likes of urban greening, reforestation, nature-based solutions, environmental art, conservation farming, climate change adaptation, and environmental education.
With their Reforest Fest happening later this month, we’re kicking off our partnership with a pledge to plant some trees – and you can get involved without getting your hands dirty. All you have to do is buy a pint! The more pints you buy, the more trees we’re able to plant in Greenpop’s Platbos Reforestation Project.
The Platbos Forest, Africa’s southernmost indigenous forest, is a botanical gem, but unfortunately unsustainable land-use practices have negatively impacted the area and its borders are a mass of alien vegetation – a serious fire threat. The Platbos Reforestation Project aims to clear the alien vegetation and reforest the cleared area with native flora. This will help to restore the indigenous forest and the biodiversity that it supports. Sounds good to us!
If buying a ‘feel-good’ beer isn’t enough and you’d prefer to get your hands dirty, you can join the team at Greenpop’s annual Reforest Fest – created to ensure thousands of trees are planted in the Platbos Forest annually. You can either buy your ticket online, head over to our brewery to enter our lucky draw raffle (where a pair of tickets is up for grabs!), or enter the competition to win a pair of tickets on our Facebook page.
Camp under the stars, dance to live local bands, play your part in planting 12 000 trees, and finish your day off with an ice-cold beer. See you there!
Facebook Competition T&Cs:
- This competition will start 5 March 2019 and close 10 March 2019.
- To enter and stand a chance to win pair of tickets to the Greenpop Reforest Fest Friends Weekend, simply tag the friend you’d like to take along within the competition post thread on our Facebook page (www.facebook.com/jackblackbeer)
- The prize includes: two complimentary tickets to the Reforest Fest Friends edition on 22 – 24 March.
- The prize excludes: anything not mentioned in the above – including transport and living costs, and camping gear.
- The winner will be selected by the discretion of the Jack Black team – and the decision of the winner is final.
- The winner’s name will be announced within the comments thread on 11 March. It’s the responsibility of the winner to then get in touch with the Jack Black team and provide their contact details for further correspondence. If a winner does not get in touch by end of day 11 March, a second winner will be chosen – and so on.
- The decision on the winners is final.
- We’ll make every effort to deliver the prize as described above, but due to the nature of the prize, it may be altered at any time, without notice, at our discretion.
- We’ll not be held liable in any way for any loss, damage, costs or expenses, or injuries experienced getting to or at the event.
- This competition is open to all residents of RSA over the age of 18.
- By entering this competition you agree to the T&Cs.